Are you looking for the best cycling shoes for 2014, well here are the top 10 road cycling shoes…uh…well maybe a few more than 10. 2014 seems to be the year of the Boa system, with almost every major brand of cycling shoes having a Boa system or something similar in their top of the line shoes. Vittoria’s uses their own proprietary tension system. While some companies continue to make retro lace-ups, most companies are moving towards the Boa closure system.
Top Cycling Shoe Styles
- BonTrager XXX
- Diadora Vortex-Pro
- Diamant Vega
- FLR F-XX
- Gaerne G Chrono
- Northwave Extreme Tech Plus
- Sidi Wire
- Specialized S-Works
- suplest S8
- Vittoria IKON
The shoes that look a little more innovative are the Sidi Wire, Specialized S-Works and the Vittoria IKON. I am really interested in getting a go at the Sidi Wire and the Vittoria IKON. Both those shoes seem to have a more sophisticated tensioning system.
Bont Vaper – Don’t know about this shoe yet. Saw some pictures from Eurobike.
BonTrager XXX Cycling Shoe: Uses the dual Boa closure system with a bottom strap.
Retail Price $399.00
- inForm Pro last – Ergonomically optimized high-performance fit
- Platinum Series Carbon sole – Our lightest, stiffest sole
- Dual independent Boa IP1 dials for zone-specific adjustability
- Stiffness index 14
- Premium Clarino microfiber upper for lightweight, durable and supportive comfort
- Approximately 220g (7.8oz) (1/2 pair size, size 42)
- Ergonomic inForm footbed – Engineered for all-day comfort and support
- No-slip heel lining
Diadora Vortex Pro Cycling Shoe – Uses the dual Boa closure system
Retail Price: $280
- Color -black/yellow fluo DD/white
- Upper- Suprell-Tech – Morpho A.M. Cage.
- Outsole- PRO ROAD – full 3k carbon fiber sole with NET Breathing System technology.
- Arch support- Hi-Vent, perforated EVA, removable.
- Fitting- Race Fit.
- 37,38-46 Half Size, 47
- Closure- 2 BOA Technology System.
- Heel Cup- Inside Ergonomic Heel Support.
- Weight – 269gr
- Upper Material: [body]Micro1, [inserts]Micro Air Cell
- Closure: BOA
- Footbed: EVA
- Sole: AirTech Carbon
- Cleat Compatibility: Look
- Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
- Actual Weight: White, 44.0: 250g
FLR F-XX Road Shoe – Uses the A-A14 REEL KNOB closure system.
Retail Price: $299.00
- Upper: Ultralight microfiber with strong ventilated nylon mesh
- Fastener: Dual A-A14 REEL KNOB for complete security
- Outsole: R500 Carbon outsole
- Footbed: Performance Insole
- Cleat: compatible with C-20, C-30 cleat series and all 3-bolt systems
- Tongue: Vented tongue for breathability
Gaerne G Chrono Cycling Shoe : Uses the Bao L5 closure system
- Closure System Boa5: The patented closure system BOA L5 consists of two micro adjustable reels and cable made of stainless steel. The combination of these elements allows the rider to obtain uniform fastening and due to the absence of Velcro straps, greater circulation of air on the front of the foot is possible.
- Breathability: The upper is made of microfiber with laserdrilling and mesh inserts positioned laterally. Together with the new anatomical tongue the shoe provides excellent breathability and a perfect climate for the rider.
- Lightness: This shoe is super lightweight and weighs only 275 grams, this bringing the weight down to within 25% less than that of it’s predecessor.
- Air Ventilation System: All Gaerne shoes provide excellent breathability and a perfect climate.
- High Comfort Insole: The new High Comfort Insole is ultra lightweight and offers great comfort, breathability and is replaceable.
- “U” Control Heel System: Exclusive control heel system, ensuring the correct position during use whilst retaining the foot in the correct position.
- Al Carbon Heel-Cup: All-new injection-molded carbon anatomic heel-cup will not deform or weaken. With it’s anti-tendonitis form and internal non-slip treatment it allows for the best foot stability and control. Reflective inserts provide maximum visibility in low-light conditions.
- Sizing: 39 40 41 42 42½ 43 43½ 44 44½ 45 46 47 48
NW North Wave
Northwave Extreme Tech Plus Cycling Shoe : Uses NWs SLW2 closure system
- SOLE: Ultralight Carbon sole
- UPPER: Ultralight microfiber
- UPPER CONTRUCTION: Biomap without stitchings
- CLOSING SYSTEM: SLW2
- HEEL: Integrated Heel System
- FOOTBED: Extreme Air
- WEIGHT: 235gr
- Sizing: 36 – 48 – Half size: 39,5 – 45,5
Sidi Wire Carbon Vernice – Uses Boa Closure System.
Retail Price : $578.00 (Wowza!)
- 60 grams lighter, per pair, compared to Ergo 3.
- All new Tecno 3 buckles independently adjust fit across the forefoot and toe.
- Improved Vent Carbon Sole®: Same incredible stiffness with closeable vents.
- Adjustable Heel Retention Device® eliminates heel lift.
- New Comfort Fit insoles with memory foam for lightweight support.
- Lighter, more ergonomic Soft Instep Closure System® and padded tongue eliminate pressure points.
Specialize S-Works – Uses the Boa Closure system.
Specialized has updated their S-Works line with the addition of a toe strap and updated Boa tensioners. One issue I had with the older Specialized S-Works model is the shoe was tough to put on. Once on, though, it felt like a glove. Taking is off was also a process, but I have learned if you lean on the forefoot and pull down on the heal the shoe comes off quite easily.
Retail Price : $399.00
- SL2 FACT carbon sole
- Full Body Geometry Features
- Boa S2 dials
- Minimalist designed thermo-bonded upper
- Open-back lace guides for easy on/off
- Replaceable heel lugs with internally recessed bolts
- 3-bolt cleat pattern
- 233g per shoe (size 44)
Retail Price : ?
- Size Available: 39 – 47 (42.5 – 44.5)
- Weight: 235 g (size 42)
- Upper Material: Micro Fiber
- Sole: 3-Bolt Ergo 360° carbon outsole
- System Compatibility: SPD, Look, Time and Speedplay
Vittoria IKON: Vittoria hails from Italy and the IKON looks totally legit. Bright orange and black combo that is bound to get looks. I am really interested to see how their lace tension system works. We reviewed the Vittoria HORA and this shoe looks even better. One complaint I have with the HROA is the tensioner is over the foot rather than off to the side. On the flip side I loved the easy entry and exit of the HORA. Hopefully the IKON will be just as easy to put on and take off.
Retail Price : $500.00
Features: Still Waiting on the release information
Now of course the Boa and Boa like systems might be too high tech for some who want a vintage flair. If that is the case, here are some really cool alternatives.
Here are some blasts from the past
Incoming search terms:
- bontrager shoes
- bont vaypor
- vittoria chrono review