I have been doing a lot of swimming over the last two months and it is truly a great exercise. Swimming not only builds strength and stamina, it also is an exercise that builds internal focus. I guess endless laps will do that.
I sort of equate swimming to a golf swing. Swimming is very much a technique driven exercise. The better your technique, the more graceful and effortless your swim stoke will look.
For those who are looking to get back into swimming or have never swam before, I encourage you to do so. You will thank me later.
Here is a fun way to get started and reach a few goals along the way. I have created some aquatic names associated with various pool activities. See how many you can earn.
- Polliwog – Just show up to the pool
- Polliwog Plus – Get your feet wet
- Guppy – Get your head wet
- Minnow – Attempt to Swim across the pool.
- Fish – Swim 25 yards or meters across the pool without stopping
- Flying Fish – Swim 50 yards or meters without stopping
- Pike – Swim 100 yards or meters without stopping
- Pike Plus – Swim 200 yards or meters without stopping
- Turtle – Swim 300 yards or meters without stopping
- Shark – Swim 400 yards or meters without stopping
- Dolphin – Swim 800 yards or meters without stopping
- Orca – Swim a mile without stopping
- Sea Horse – Learning how to do a flip turn
- Clown Fish – One Arm Stroke
- Otter – Back Stroke
- Bull Frog – Breast Stroke