That’s not exactly the mouth watering hungry and anticipating sound I hear when I ask friends and family if they want to eat meatloaf. Usually I hear a hesitant response and a hesitant, ‘Sure, I guess I’ll have just a little bit of meatloaf” or better yet, a “No thanks, I already ate.” Well guess what! This ain’t your grandma’s meatloaf.
So maybe your grandma made good meatloaf, but if she was anything like my grandma, she did not. My grandma’s usual homemade dinner was over cooked spaghetti noodles with gobs of tomato sauce… err… rather bottled ketchup. I was five years old when she first served me this meal. As soon as she saw my anxious tears she asked me “what’s the matter? Not enough tomato sauce?” and she poured giant spoonfuls more on top of the mountain of generic ketchup. Her meatloaf was no better.
My mom however did know how to make a delicious meatloaf! The recipe that I’m posting is similar to hers. She had a few variations and commonly changed some ingredients each time for experimentation sake.
Meatloaf Recipe Ingredients:
16 oz of ground meat (I used Turkey)
1 red onion chopped
1/3 cup of raw oats and / or breadcrumbs
2 TBSP chopped herbs (I used Cilantro)
2 TBSP of spicy mustard
1 TBSP of Ketchup combo (I used a pre spiced ketchup)
1 Tsp Paprika
Dash of Cayanne
Dash of Salt and Pepper
1 Large egg (This helps to form the loaf)
1 chopped carrot
1 Diced Tomato
1/2 fresh pepper (I used an orange one)
MEATLOAF TOMATO SAUCE:
3 TBSP of Ketchup (I used a pre spiced ketchup)
1 TBSP of Spicy Mustard
1 Tsp of tomato paste
Herbs and spices to flavor
MIX these ingredients and you may heat over the stove for a few minutes or serve at room temperature.
NOT YOUR GRANDMA’S MEATLOAF RECIPE!!!
- 16oz of turkey meat
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/3 cup of raw oats / bread crumb combo
- 2 tbsp chopped herbs (cilantro)
- 2 tsp spicy mustard
- 1 tbsp ketchup combo
- 1 tsp of paprika / cayanne / salt / pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1/2 pepper (I used orange)
- 1 Tomato Diced
- TOMATO SAUCE GRAVY!
- 3 Tbsp of ketchup and spicy mustard mixture. I used a ketchup that already has herbs and spices added to it.
- 1 Tsp of Tomato paste
- Herbs and spices to flavor.
- Mix this well. May be heated over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Pack into a firm loaf. Heat in a lightly oiled skillet until outsides are just brown. Remove from heat and place onto sheet of foil. You can also place this onto a pan. Place in oven at 400 degrees. Bake for 40 minutes. Check occasionally. The meat and vegetables might produce excess juices that need to be drained. This is optional. After the first 40 minutes, drizzle the top with some maple syrup and Put back into oven for additional 10 minutes.
- Ready to serve!
- Recipe goes well with mashed potatoes and greens.
This recipe provides 4 to 6 servings. Leftovers are pretty good too. This recipe is a great find for anyone on the Paleo Diet. Let us know how your like your Meatloaf!
Incoming search terms:
- recipe for meatloaf